Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Donkey Basketball, Who Knew?


I picked up a copy of the local newspaper the other day and an article about a donkey basketball game to be played at the high school caught my eye.  I was certain that I had grabbed an April Fool's edition so I quickly checked the date on the paper, March 30, 2012.  Could this be for real?











People playing basketball in the gym on donkeys?  I refused to believe it until I saw the donkeys walking in with their little booties on.  Somehow a group of the faculty had been talked into playing against a student team.  There they were with their rubber soled cowboy boots ready for the tip off.  






The rules are simple

  1. You must be on your donkey to either pass or shoot
  2. You can't be mean to your donkey
  3. There is no such thing as a foul
  4. The donkey has no rules and can do what ever he wants, including being foul







I was actually amazed with the athleticism of both the players and the donkeys.  There was plenty of bucking and run away donkeys to keep things pretty interesting.  








The competition was fierce but in the end the teachers win!


You can check this link to see what the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) have to say about donkey basketball.  But I can save you some time.  They don't like it much.  As for my opinion, I thought it was a great lot of fun and the donkeys really had the upper hand most of the time. I could swear I caught one of those donkeys laughing.   It seemed to me the event planners took great care to make sure the animals were not mistreated.  The people however were on their own.



I don't know, you tell me which one is the "arse".


video

Here is a little iPhone video in case you just haven't had enough.


The things that happen in this little town never stop amazing me.
It seems we just didn't get enough March Madness in these parts and we have moved straight on in to Asinine April. 


Donkey Basketball? Well I never.

I'd love to know your thoughts.  Please take the poll and leave a comment if you like.




Have you ever heard of Donkey Basketball?


1 comment: