Sunday, April 22, 2012

Laundry Day Now and Then

I admit to being a little intimidated by my new washing machine.  When we remodeled the pantry/utility room  we had to get a new front load washer and dryer and stack them to make room.  







These new high-efficiency machines use less water but each load takes forever.  Knowing that my clothes are going to be in that thing for over an hour can create a little separation anxiety.  My palms always get a little sweaty when I go to push the start button.





It's just such a commitment.  The machine spins a little to sense the load and then goes through some logarithmic calculation to give you an Estimated Time of Arrival.  Then the dreaded click happens where you are locked out and the machine takes over.  Thats the part that scares me.



Why is that such a big deal?  Well suppose you head back upstairs and discover a dropped sock.  In the old days of top load washers you just lift the lid and drop it in.  No harm done.  But now that you are locked out , that sox is on hiatus until at least next week.






If separating a mated sox pair isn't enough to make your palms sweaty how about this one?


.......carefree you toss in a load and head for a quick shower.  Five minutes later you are out of the shower only to discover that every single pair of underwear you own is under the control of that contraption for another, oh I don't know.... HOUR and 37 minutes!!! 






Well what are you going to do now?




Oh, I do like to carry on about laundry day until I think about my Grandma using this iron.  She would heat it up and then hold it with a hot pad and iron away.  She had the "lectric" kind but she liked this one best.






My, my laundry sure has changed over the years.  I've got someone to iron it all out for us.  You've just got to meet her.  If you do nothing else today head on over to Thoughts from Meme's Corner    At 82-years-old, she is the cutest blogger you are ever likely to meet.  In her profile she tells you,   "I do what I want, when I want"....and by durn she's earned that right.  She's got a fantastic post about vintage laundry items and tells it like it really was.  So go check it out  while you are waiting for your washer to release your clothes back into your custody.






Now if you'll excuse me, my washer is chiming and I've got to go figure out what it wants?

Happy Laundry Day!


Sharing at


Debbiedoos' Newbie Party



15 comments:

  1. I still have the top load washer and your post made me chuckle. I think I went back four times in one load yesterday to put in socks my dogs had stolen from the hamper. I would have been stressing too over not being able to have a chance to interupt the cycle. Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those top load washers have a lot going for them!

      Delete
  2. Hi there! You are funny!~ I hear ya though. My husband gave me the option of getting these when we moved into our new home. I said No thank you I want the standard. Now however, I wish I had them. Thanks for sharing with the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this neat washer presentation. I have the old fashion ones that load from the top and dryer in the middle. Small versions. I do not like the great big ones. I am pleased you let me be a part of your presentation today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the woes of laundry! That is what I am doing right ow and I am thinking it will never be done! Love your laundry sign! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my... to have my top loading washing machine back would be a dream. I miss being able to dye fabric and/or throw the latecomers in. Plus, the worst thing of all is that if you don't leave the washer door open, you'll get a musty smell. Even with leaving it open you have to clean it once a month. Sigh. On the up side, it sure spins the heck out of the clothes and drying is much faster! Thanks much for your visit at my blog today... you are one smart cookie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the "musty" smell but your right, the dryer cycle is super fast.

      Delete
  6. hmmmm... Maybe I'm not so jealous of the people that have those fancy new washers now. Maybe my old top loader isn't so bad afterall! Thanks for this post, and I love the "Drop your pants" sign! What a hoot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doing laundry right now in my 20 some year old Kenmore...and one of these days it will have to be replaced.....yikes, these new washers look like learning will be a nightmare...lol...all I want is a gray washer and dryer...isn't that crazy??? Loved your sign, too...funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to admit I could see myself in the same predicaments if I had a high efficiency washer. Hearing your thoughts, I am really glad my top loader doesn't imprison my clothes until I can make bail. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, that's funny, you shouldn't need a bail bondsman to do the laundry!

      Delete
  9. New to your blog and loving what I am seeing. Am your newest follower. Thanks for sharing, liz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hysterical / you crack me up!

    ReplyDelete