Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Weird Science

I didn't do so well with physics back in high school.  So if I find a project that seems to defy one of the laws of nature, I'm all over it.  It's kinda like getting back at all those old science teachers for giving us pop quizzes on Newton. 







I think that is why this project really caught my eye.  At first glance it really seems impossible that all those pots don't just fall over.  Ha!  In your face Sir Issac, observe anti-gravity at play! (....insert evil scientist laugh here...)




                                                Source: homestoriesatoz.com via Lynn on Pinterest






SPOILER ALERT: if you check out this great tutorial at Homestories A to Z it may ruin the magic for you just a bit.






So I borrowed the idea to make my own stacking herb garden but I wasn't done with my experiment just yet.  I also wanted to mess with Einstein and see if I could make my pots travel back in time.  But finding a way to get my pots to travel beyond the speed of light was going to be difficult...until I came across this tutorial from At the Picket Fence. 






Apparently the Picket Fence girls paid attention in science class because they have discovered a way transport pots back 50 years and return them to the present in only about 20 minutes.   I think Albert E. himself would be astonished at this new technology!


I just added a few simple stencils before I sent these pots on their travels.  Then I carefully stacked them in an anti-gravity fashion and planted my herbs.










Just one more law of physics to test - "FOR EVERY ACTION THERE IS AN EQUAL AND OPPOSITE REACTION."  I also didn't do so well in botany, plant morphology or any of those green sciences.  After I planted these herbs I completely forgot about them, as in no water, no fertilizer, no talking to them etc.  





Until I decided to make some fresh marinara sauce and suddenly remembered there might be some basil out in the yard.   I was astonished to see that my herbs had given me an opposite and equal reaction.  They were alive and thriving! 
 Science Works! 











Well maybe Physics 101 was a long time ago for me but I think I deserve some extra credit for this project, don't ya think??




Thanks for tuning in!




-Lynn




PS - Here is a little glimpse of our board and batten siding on the front porch.  It is just about ready to paint!






Sharing here....






Savvy Southern Style  for Wow us Wednesdays
The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursday
Have a Daily Cup with Mrs. Olson for Share Your Cup Thursday
No Minimalist Here for Open House Thursday
At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Stuff and Nonsense for Fridays Unfolded

11 comments:

  1. Your posts always make me smile! The pots are fantastic...now, how did you manage this?!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your sweet pots. I have to go over and see how it is done. Thanks for the link- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I've have to find out how this is done. Enjoyed the post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turned out great! I love the look and of course, you always make me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn,

    Those pots are amazing! I saw both of the projects you referenced....but I love the combination :)

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you get an A+++ for this one. Just loving it! But when I ignore my plants they tend to die ...

    ... maybe I need to plant them in a physics defying topsy turvey sculpture?

    ... so happy your shared your evil scientist project with us all at our Great Outdoors link party!

    :)

    Linda

    (insert evil scientist laugh here)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It couldn't hurt to give it a try. Your geraniums need every scientific advantage you can give them :)

      Delete
  7. beautiful work, you definitely deserve credit for the work...

    http://www.daffysdream.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lynn, whenever I need a good chuckle I know where to come. Still hearing that evil scientist laugh in my head. Your tower (that will make Pizza) turned out great. My friend has one of these and It always makes me smile. What a lot of people don't know is that herbs do not require a lot of water. Most people over water them. Love the aging of the pots. Always think I'll do that, but ain't happening yet. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup!
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love the look of your pots and the whimsy of it. So pretty!! Thank you so much for linking up to our party!
    Karah

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your blog after a link up on Funk Junk Interiors featuring your "Its so Tweet" that was probably oh two hours ago. I have been clicking away through all your archives since. What else can a gal do while nursing a very bad burnt backside and has spend two days laying in the middle of her living room floor? I think you have found a new follower. I just had to comment on these pots and how cute this is! I recently was awarded a great find set out for trash...about 15 tara cotta pots!From seed starter size to hosta plant size. All aged and perfect. Of course I rescued them from their doom!! I haven't been able to decide what I was going to do with them. Right now they have a home in my hubby's grilling bar I made out of pallet wood, they look so homie there. Ideas from hanging them along my brick wall on my patio full of a small vine Jenny or make the people figures with them (not sure if you have seen and those, a neighbor of a friend of mine has them in her flower bed on a bench and I love them). Now that I have seen this I know just what do to! I have been wanting an herb garden and this is perfect!!! I am going to go see how its done and get started on mine very soon. Thank you for sharing! :D

    Misty in WV

    ReplyDelete