Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Buffet in the Bathroom

After weeks of searching the area on-line classifieds, I had finally found it!  The perfect buffet to convert into a bathroom cabinet.  It was the right dimensions and had all the storage we would need. I grabbed the address and hustled out the door.  


 

When I first laid eyes on it I knew it was everything I hoped it would be.  An absolutely perfect fit for our old farm house bathroom.  I quickly said,  "I'll take it"!  But long after I had agreed to the full asking price the owner kept talking.   


She pointed out the delicate wood overlays in perfect condition.  She told me it had been in her family for years. Then she asked me a dangerous question,

 "So what are your plans for my beautiful buffet?"



It suddenly dawned on me...I was being interviewed to be the next curator of this piece!  Could I really tell her I was going to cut a gaping hole in the top and slap a sink in it?  


I snapped into my best job interview mode.  


Spit out gum...check.
Cross legs politely at the ankles...check.
Lean slightly forward and maintain eye contact....check.

I had to ace this interview!


She went on about how she had protected the wood from water marks.  
Oh, no!  Did it show on my face that I'd be putting this buffet in a room guaranteed to expose it to splashes, steam and potentially other noxious vapors?



I put on my best interview face and tried to dazzle her with my knowledge of wood care.  She seemed satisfied for the moment.  
She continued on about the pieces of hardware that were original and the pieces that had been replaced.  



I leaned forward even closer and listened intently.   




"Look, under here,"  she pointed. "This is where I stored my grandmother's good china and all my vintage linens, right in the middle section."  But I couldn't stop myself from thinking....if we took the middle shelf out there would be plenty of room for the plumbing.  And I'll bet I could get a whole case of toilet paper in there too.   

 
The time had come.  It was time to give the compelling speech that would seal the deal.  








I described how this buffet would be placed prominently in a room that got daily use.  In a room where people are generally seated.  It would most often be admired right from eye level!  




That must have been the clincher,  I got the job!  I was going to be the next curator of this piece! I gave her a check and she helped me load this lovely piece in my car.  I'm certain that my taillights looked like rocket flares as I sped away.  


I admit I did have some remorse as the big hole was cut in the top.  I hoped that I hadn't been too deceptive.  But after all I had saved it from the garage where she had been storing it.  Didn't she realize what big temperature fluctuations could do to old wood like that?  


I truly hope that the original curator would be pleased to see how wonderfully this buffet has adapted to its new use.


So, don't be too hard on me... but tell me.... what would you have done? 




Enjoy today!

Furniture Feature Fridays

Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursday
Have a Daily Cup with Mrs. Olson for Share Your Cup Thursday
No Minimalist Here for Open House Thursday
The Brambleberry Cottage Time Travel Thursday

At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday

Stuff and Nonsense for Fridays Unfolded
Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special

26 comments:

  1. i love it!!! & your story telling of how you "got the job" was great!!!! i would have done the same thing!!!! i almost stole a magazine from the dr's office monday because it had a picture of THE BEST bathroom sink.....i kept thinking, "i could get a man with a circular saw to help me build that!!" now i'm wonderin' if that magazine will be there in 3 months when i go back!!!

    do ya like all my exclamation marks?!! it's MY favorite punctuation too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! Great story too ;)
    Greetings from Australia♥
    ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Lynn, it is GORGEOUS. Let's just say that if we were ever to finish our bathroom, I would want it to look just like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I would have panicked & crumbled on the spot! lol
    I absolutely love it though, Lynn. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in love with your buffet in the bathroom! Looks stunning! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. II would've done the exact same thing! It's gorgeous. Great find, and right now I have buffet/vanity envy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's perfect! The sink has replaced the pitcher and bowl. Beautiful new life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great!

    I would have bombed the inquiry though!!

    My defense would have been a great offense... and a distraction of topics.

    Thanks for sharing!!

    Smiles :)
    Kerin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful information particularly the last section I maintain such information a lot. I used to be seeking this certain information for a long time. Thanks for the wonderful post.

    Regards,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  10. I laughed out loud as I read your story! So cute. What a beautiful vanity you've created! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh girl you have me in stitches. I think you made a wise choice of not telling her. I tell you I would have tried to hide it but I am a horrible liar. Although, you really didn't lie. Everything you said was the truth and nothing but the truth. Anyway, glad you got the job and love what you did with the old gal! Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lynn,

    It turned out great.

    I had to laugh as I was reading your story - I have been in that postion and it can be very uncomfortable. In fact just last week I found a great piece as the current owner was filling us in on the history of the piece - I found myself holding my breath as I feared my husband would volunteer that I intended to use it on the patio. Fortunately, he didn't go there!

    Have a great week - enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great make over, fantastic story... I would have done exactly the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. liar liar pants on fire! lol don't you love how people want to stay in control of the stuff they sell?? wow. You've done a fabulous job with this piece. It looks absolutely gorgeous!! Great work!

    Have an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. how funny! you didn't lie...you just didn't tell the ALL truth. great find for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this, I'm dying to do the same thing in my bathroom. I think I would have flunked the interview though, I would have told her I planned to turn it into a sink and she would have shown me the door!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fantastic post - and what a beautiful transformation -
    People would die if they knew what I've done to their precious
    antiques, lol
    but then again I've taken garbage and made it beautiful so it
    evens itself out right? At least that's what I tell myself.
    Your newest follower - would love to have you visit and follow
    back
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  18. My Goodness this is stunning! I am on a search for a similar buffet and hope it turns out half as good as yours did. Great job! You always have such wonderful projects, ideas, & makeovers on your blog which just makes visiting that much more fun. I’ve nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. You can check out all the info on my blog. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's funny, funny! I probably would have done the same thing - not had the heart to tell her were it was going... some people just don't understand creativity. :) It's beautiful in your bathroom. Would love for you to share at my linky party - Tips & Tricks at http://stringtownhome.blogspot.com.

    Have a great weekend, and enjoy that beautiful buffet/vanity!
    Your newest follower,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! This is the perfect piece. At least you didn't slap a bunch of paint all over it (yet). I think its previous owner would be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just beautiful. Silly me probably would have spit out that I was going to use it in the *shock* bathroom. And then cringed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful in the bath! I love this piece. She probably would have had an absolute coronary if you told her you were going to paint it! I would have said just what you said. It wasn't a fib ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think this is perfect. I would love to find something like that for my bathroom. I love it! Whatnamlucky girl!

    ReplyDelete