Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Extreme Window Installation

This is one for the guys. Especially the guys at the window company where my husband works. Yup, I know who you are and I think it's very manly that you check out my blog once in a while.  So this will be a man style post just for you. No cutesy word plays, no styled artsy photos (well maybe just a couple).....and I'll be limiting myself to just one exclamation point! (That wasn't it, I was just giving you an example of how an exclamation point is used.)  There will be power tools, dust and a certain element of danger and destruction.





OK here goes, my man style post....wish me luck.  (Oh I so wanted to put and exclamation point right there).


Problem:  Wife complains of dark dingy hallway.
Solution:  Put in window.


Step 1:  Get big power tool.  (I think this is called a grinder)




Step 2:  Blast through 16" of adobe brick like you are Andy Dufresne breaking out of prison in the "Shawshank Redemption" (A very guy movie)





Step 3: Make mess on the roof under the new window




Step 4: Install window






Step 5: Con your brother who is really good at woodworking to trim it out perfectly (Ooops I almost put an exclamation point there)






Step 6: Get out of the way while your wife puts cute stuff on that big wide ledge.








Done: Happy wife happy life








Just in case you are running to  grab a grinder and cut a hole in your wall here is a  note from our legal department:


"Please do not try this at home.  All the window stunts shown on this blog have been performed by a highly trained window installer with years of experience." 


But...If you've got a dark area in the house, don't be afraid to add a new window.  It may take someone with a little experience but it is possible to add a window just about anywhere. 






(Okay, I am really ready for that exclamation point now)


My husband is a rock star of a window installer!  This window must have been a real "pain" to put in.  Thanks so much for letting the light in and making me a happy wife.  I love what is has done for our entire upstairs and stairway!  (Sorry there's another one, I can't help it)


Here's to all you men out there who make our design dreams come true!  (last exclamation point, I promise)






Enjoy today,











At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Stuff and Nonsense for Fridays Unfolded







  




13 comments:

  1. Cute post and your new window is fabulous. Great job. Love the stairs too, stunning. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. That came out awesome! Nice new light touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!
    I'm impressed!!
    That takes courage to punch a hole in the wall of an old home :)

    We too are renovating an old home and homestead.
    We have renovated about a dozen old homes, and I think this is our forevery home :)

    I'm your newest follower and looking forward to reading more of your posts.
    It's nice to read the blog of a fellow old house lover :)

    Smiles :)
    Kerin

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a difference that light from the window makes. It must be nice to have a superhero at your beck and call. I love your blog and am your newest follower. I am off to read more. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it...lucky you!!! :)
    Sorry, couldn't resist the exclamation points or the(...) and I added the smiley face for "good measure"...hehe...all girl here! Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your pretty window and your light filled hallway now! I really would like to try this at home now. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL- Great post- My hubby and I used to own and operate a window/door/siding business! It's a whole different world out there- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. How pretty your new window looks! I love natural light coming in... the first thing I do every morning is open all the blinds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made me LOL this morning :) I can never get me enough exclamation points. I constantly edit myself while writing, and by edit I mean I only use two exclamation points at the end of a sentence instead of five!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lynn, the window turned out beautifully and I love your sense of humour! Exclamation point! To add emphasis and a ring of sincerity and enthusiasm! Followed by happy face. :)
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey lynn!! love your new window -- the trim matches the banister perfectly!!!! and i love how you "cutesied" it up with the pink flowers & white dishes!!! and i love !!!! too!!! i use them a little too much, but oh well!!!! have a terrific weekend!! have you been to the rusty junk place yet??!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this post! When we renovated our house, there wasn't ANY room that wasn't in danger of getting newer, larger, and more windows. Our contractor was always having to think creatively to get transom windows in certain spots (and even had to plan out the support for a FUTURE transom window I would like to have one day). I totally agree, a window and nice light makes all the difference!

    ReplyDelete