Monday, June 11, 2012

PInwheel Flank Steak

Two icons of the 4th of July, pinwheels and steak, together at last.  This is one of our favorite summer celebration recipes.  Hope you are gearing up for some summertime fun.  






Ingredients
1/4 cupsun dried tomatoes 
1 poundbeef flank steak or top round steak - trimmed of separable fat
3 Tlight herbed cheese spread
1/8 teaspoonsalt
1/8 teaspoonpepper
1 cupchopped spinach
2 tablespoonsgrated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoonssnipped fresh basil






1. Finely shred spinach and fresh basil

2. Score meat by making shallow diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals in a diamond pattern on both sides.

3. Place meat between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Working from center to edges, pound with flat side of a meat mallet into 12x8-inch rectangle. Remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle meat with the salt and pepper.

4. Spread the cheese lengthwise in a 3-inch wide strip down the middle of the steak.

5. Then spread spinach over the steak. Sprinkle with the tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, and basil.



 6. Roll the steak up from a short side. Secure with wooden toothpicks at 1-inch intervals, starting 1/2 inch from one end.




7. Cut between the toothpicks into eight 1-inch-thick slices.


The pinwheels are ready for either the broiler or BBQ.  

BROILER: Place slices, cut sides down, on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat to desired doneness, turning once. [Allow or 12 to 16 minutes for medium (160 degrees F).] 

BBQ:  Grill over high heat to desired doneness turning once.  It is helpful to put two pinwheels on a skewer when barbecuing.  This will help them hold together when you turn. 




Before serving, remove toothpicks because a party is no time for a toothpick accident, Right?


Recipe adapted from Better, Homes and Gardens




Enjoy today!




-Lynn




Sharing with these amazing blogs

Stone Gable for On the Menu Monday
Debbiedoos for The Newbie Party
Cedarhill Ranch for Cowgirl Up Tuesday

Savvy Southern Style  for Wow us Wednesdays
The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursday
Have a Daily Cup with Mrs. Olson for Share Your Cup Thursday
No Minimalist Here for Open House Thursday
The Brambleberry Cottage Time Travel Thursday
At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Stuff and Nonsense for Fridays Unfolded
Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special

18 comments:

  1. What a fun way to spice up the grill! I don't eat meat, but the photos are so well done, love the action shot of you pounding the meet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet @Ozarks Livin'June 11, 2012 at 7:32 AM

    I am going to have to try this. My mouth is watering. I am your newest follower. When I joined the space said "be the first" and when I clicked to follow, 89 other members showed up. So...you're welcome. Just kidding, but I thought that was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! GREAT way to do something different on the grill and it sounds absolutely DELICIOUS! I am going to save this recipe to my files- xo Dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pinwheel steaks look delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will be trying these for sure. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! Wish I had one right now, they look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got tomatoes drying right now in my dehydrator so will have to try this when they are finished!! Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great! Gotta add this to my to try recipes. Thanks for sharing. Visiting from Debbiedoos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll bet this is delicious. Just wish someone would cook it for me. I would rather be taking photos or reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks UH-Mazing! I think I will be making these for the grill out we will be doing for Fathers Day. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy, Lynn! What a great fun main dish for summer grilling!
    I would LOVE to make this next week and feature it ON THE MEMU MONDAY! Could I use your photograph and give you full credit of course. My readers will love this too! Thanks for joining ON THE MENU MONDAY with this wonderful dish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grilling and flank steak - what's not to love! Looks amazing (now I'm starving and it's midnight and I want to raid my fridge...)!!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the recipe. As someone who is not a creative cook, I can't wait to try this out on the grill.

    ReplyDelete
  13. saved to my recipe box...

    I just recently started grilling myself, that has always the hubbys thing but I think he might have lost that job too. (he is a military man so I have alot of hats to wear at home but only recently did I try the grilling chef hat..and I love it!) Our whole family is having a Fourth of July family vacation in Gatlinburg TN this year. Each of the family units picks a night to make dinner and I am gonna have to make this for everyone. Probably wont be on a grill due to the resort we will be at but I will make it at home for our next cookout for sure!

    Thank you for sharing this!

    Misty in WV

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saw this at Yvonne's and had to come get the recipe and how to!!! I WILL be making these, thanks so much!!! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum Lynn. I think I have pretty much everything to try this. Hubby is going fishing for a few days, but I would love to try it when he gets home. Thanks so much for sharing with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann
    p.s. I have top round steak in the freezer, do you think it works as well?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Forgot to mention, cozy Home Scenes is having a BBQ link party. You should share this with her.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lynn, I'm back again. lol! Just wanted to let you know that I am featuring this today on Share Your Cup. Thanks!
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm super excited to find this since I have all those ingredients in the fridge...it's meant to be! Visiting from Cowgirl Up...Thanks for sharing!

    XOXO
    Kayli @Head Over Heels

    ReplyDelete