Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Slimmed Down Wall Quilt


I've had the song in my head from that old commercial where the ketchup is pouring really slow out of the bottle. I think it goes something like pro...cras...ti...nation.....pro.cras.ti.nay.aye.shun it's makin' me wait. 




It seems like just yesterday that I was finishing up the painted rug in my upstairs hallway.  (but it was actually a month ago) 




And telling y'all that I'd be making a wall hanging with these fabrics to go in the hall next week. (which would have been a good three weeks ago) 


Ahem...I'm sure everyone has been holding their breath waiting for this...so finally you can fill your lungs because this project is hanging on the wall where it belongs.




Oh but it has been a long road getting there.  Because we are friends I'll show you this photo but I'm only going to show it to you once so get a good look. 



When I first got the idea for this wall I wanted to do something daring, to "boldly go where no man designer has gone before".  But nobody told me that if you follow that mantra you could end up on a strange distant planet all alone.  That is exactly how I landed myself on Planet Naranja. (Calling all Anglos - naranja=orange in Spanish - Planet Orange just sounded so lame).  I was alone, shivering and coming down hard from a color overdose. Don't get me wrong I love the color orange, it just didn't work here. I went through some rehab and decided to try again, but don't worry, I'm planning to recycle those fabrics into some lovely gifts for the people of Naranja. 


I started over using the same color scheme from my painted rug...ah much better.  



I really enjoy quilting...well lets be perfectly honest.  I enjoy putting quilt tops together, the quilting, not so much.  I solved my own problem with this solution.  

See that nail polish...I can be a friend of orange


After putting the top together I just ironed some fusible pellon on the back.  It gives the piece some body and keeps it from stretching when you are stapling it to the wood frame. Best of all no quilting is required.  



"But, but how did you piece that top? It looks complicated."  you ask.  Awh, shucks if you can sew three straight lines and cut on a 45 degree angle you got 'er done.  I used the tutorial here to do a strip twist design.  It is deceptively simple and very suited for a beginner.  It uses 2 1/2 inch strips which you can purchase precut in these jelly rolls. 



They are so convenient but "boy howdy" are they getting expensive.  I have started just cutting my own strips.  Quilters have been using these for years but I've got a few more home decor applications I'll be showing you.



This shop is just so cute I had to snap a few iPhone photos.  










You could really use any quilt design or even simple stripes or squares to make a top.  I simply added a 1 1/2" border of muslin to the quilt design and then a wider gray border.  Then ironed on the pellon starting in the middle and working out. The piece was stapled to a wood frame and made ready to hang.  I don't know why that took a whole month??

While my husband was helping me hang it up we had a disturbing conversation....

Him:  So let me get this straight.  You start with a piece of fabric that is already the size you want it.

Me:  Ya

Him:  Then you cut it up into a whole bunch of little pieces.

Me:  Mmmm yup

Him:  Then you sew it back together

Me:  I'm with ya

Him:  So now it is back to the size you originally started with

Me: You got it

Him:  Tell me again why you do that?

Me: .............


I really didn't have a good answer to that.  I decided to make a few smaller frames only this time I used the larger scraps from the pieced hanging and ironed the pellon on the back, no cutting, no sewing.  Wow, do we just make things harder than they need to be???  Here is the no-sew version.



So now I've got my slimmed down, more modern version of the country quilt on the wall. 




Just a few more projects to go and this stairwell will be done.  



And guess what, I've already started procrastinating those projects.....la, la,  "it's keeping me way..aye..aye..aye...ate...ting"!


Enjoy today!




-Lynn






Sharing at these fine blogs.....





Savvy Southern Style  for Wow us Wednesdays
The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursday
Have a Daily Cup with Mrs. Olson for Share Your Cup Thursday
No Minimalist Here for Open House Thursday
The Brambleberry Cottage Time Travel Thursday
At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Stuff and Nonsense for Fridays Unfolded
Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special
DIY Showoff for DIY Project Parade


14 comments:

  1. Looks great!! Love the conversation with your husband...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The conversation is priceless and the quilt is charming:}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh- yeah...I remember that song and now it will be running through MY head until I get my butt downstairs and sort through the KIDS' MESS left from taking summer Princess costumes out to the playhouse.

    I LOVE your quilt. The colors are wonderful...and I do think the orange one will be fun to use come Fall. I haven't had anything orange in years but come Fall...I want to surround myself with it in decorating.

    Husbands just don't GET IT! Never do! Never will! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey there! i like version 2 much better!!! and i seem to like making quilt tops better than finishing them -- i have 2 unfinished tops lying on my quilt rack - & one's been there since my 20 year old daughter was 3!!!!!! it was supposed to be for on her bed! now i just tell myself it'll be for a granddaughter someday!!!!!......maybe!!!!!!! so neat how your husband figured out the concept of quilting!!! he's as smart as he is handsome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the quilt looks just perfect! We have a similar looking stairwell/wall space and there is nothing on mine so my question is...how did you and your husband get everything up there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to quilt a few years ago -- one year, I was a quilting maniac. But I found out, although I love the finished product, I really didn't enjoy the quilting process to get there. So I don't do it anymore. I guess that's what's called maturing... Lol.

    Love your quilt -- you did good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your quilt, so charming! Too funny your conversation with your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful! I love quilt hangings and it looks perfect there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You got me singing along girl. I have been such a procratinator lately. I am working on a Fall quilt and it's like taking me forever! I can not get in the mood to sew. Then there's this table I've been trying to paint. S.L.O.W. is the word. Painted white but now I am houndstoothing it. Since I've had problems with my knees I just can't seem to accomplish nearly what I did before. I think your wall quilts turned out darling. I love those fabrics. They go so well with your wonderful painted rug. As for that shop, I love the holder for the jelly rolls! Such a cute cabinet. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup!
    Hugs,
    jann

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your newly created wall art is the PERFECT complement to the fabulous faux rug you painted. ;)

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday. I hope you'll join the fun each week. Be sure to stop in tonight, and see yourself featured.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  11. just tell hubby that once quilting was done by just scraps left after making clothing. now we buy most of our clothing so we do it that way...because we want all the pieces to me mixed up :)

    Misty in WV

    ReplyDelete
  12. YES!! So much better ... sometimes bold is best in theory. ;) Yours is perfect! Thank you so much for linking up to our party!! :)
    Karah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your non-quilted quilt. She seems very in love with herself too - you know it is when a quilt loses some weight - they like to show off!

    Glad you came to our Color party!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt art is just fabulous! And I love that conversation with your husband ... I think my husband and I can have a similar one over so many of my many projects!

    So so so very happy to see you our Crazy for Color party! So so so very sorry it's taken me so long to get through the links! I'm nearing the end ...

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete