Monday, July 23, 2012

Ladder Safety 101

So, how was your weekend?   Mine was great, oh, other than that paint can I dumped on my head.  I've been know to do some stupid things but this pretty much qualifies me for the DIY Neanderthal Award.    (No offense to any specific ancient human) I am just certain that somewhere in the course of human development some poor Troglodyte wore a similar look while cave painting! 




 But the most pre-human thing I did was to walk the entire 45 foot length of our new front porch, dripping paint all the while, to get some help.  At least that was the assessment from my husband, who scrubbed the decking while I washed the paint out of my hair.  

 I'm sure none of you DIYer's out there would ever let something like this happen, but in an effort to make my pain your gain, I've gathered a few ladder safety tips for you.  


photo source



Keep these safety rules in mind:

1. Be careful to make sure there is something under the dropcloth you place the ladder on.  (See here was my problem, no matter how strong the dropcloth looks, it won't hold up the ladder if the bottom support is off the edge of your front porch...no matter how much you want it to!)

2.  The distance from the house to the base of an extension ladder should equal one-fourth the height of the ladder.  

3.  When working on a ladder, don't overreach.  Keep your hips within the vertical rails.   

4.  Always maintain a 3-point (two hands and a foot, or two feet and a hand) contact on the ladder when climbing. Keep your body near the middle of the step and always face the ladder while climbing.


5.  An extension or straight ladder used to access an elevated surface must extend at least 3 feet above the point of support (see diagram). Do not stand on the three top rungs of a straight, single or extension ladder.



5.  Be sure that all locks on an extension ladder are properly engaged.



 Thanks to OSHA for several of these tips and drawings.  




I will give the Neanderthals some credit though.  They did get the protruding forehead and bushy eyebrows right.  See how well my eyebrows kept the paint out of my eyes...if that isn't proof of Darwin's  theory I don't know what would convince you.  








So here is a bit of advice from me.  If you are a DIY painter, stop plucking your eyebrows,  stop it right now!  Your very eyesight could depend on it.  I'm telling you, bushier is better when you dump a can of paint on your head.


Happy climbing....



Here is a link to some other great information on ladder safety
be safe!

t


The Stinky Linky Party

26 comments:

  1. OMGOSH! I thought I was the only one that did things like that! You poooooorrrrrr thing! You could have finished painting your face and taken up as a mime! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a good sport! taking a picture of the paint dripping...I would have been screaming, yelling...but not taking a picture! accidents happens...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear..
    Well, one thing is for certain... renovating isn't for the weak :)

    I'm glad that you were not hurt.
    Ladders scare me!! My uncle fell off a ladder when he was painting the trim on his house, and sadly, he died.
    Seriously... ladders are dangerous!

    Like your attitude about the whole thing though... if you laugh, you won't cry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kerin, that is awful. I really hope people will take my safety tips seriously.

      Delete
  4. Well, um, you look good in white?!!, I'm glad you're okay, Lynn. Reminds me of my adventure climbing into the dumpster behind the barn. I was covered in concrete dust and dirt! I was praying I wouldn't meet with an old rusty nail! The things we do to re-purpose and renovate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my....well it's good that you made something funny out of it ! :) But what a mess :( It must have taken forever to clean that out of your hair :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word!! You poor painted thing! hope it came out easily!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you poor thing!! That is exactly something I would have done. I think everyone of my fingers were either cut or burned from the glue gun last week. LOL

    Darn it, I also was going to give the Liebster award! I should have done my home work better, because I just saw where you have one. Congrats on that one!

    Thanks for sharing your adventures in the world of DIY!! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see you kept your sense of humor. You do we that color well. I, however, cannot wear white.
    blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy S**t that is so funny! Pardon my french! You can edit it if you like but I swear that was my first reaction! I commiserate because I just spilled a can of Dark Walnut stain when my ladder wobbled! Stain went EVERYWHERE! I had to repaint walls, doors, new wood steps, etc. And then I went and drank wine. Lots of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pinned it. You know, to make sure others are working safe :)

    Thanks. Thanks for sharing your real life moment. It sure was good for a giggle from me!!

    You be careful now!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no! What a good sport you are though. :-) Last year I had a paint can sitting on our dryer (talk about dumb!) and somehow I knocked it just right and almost an entire gallon of paint went all over our laundry room floor. Not a pretty sight, that is for sure! (I was also 8 months pregnant at the time, so you can imagine how awkward it was to clean all that paint up off the floor! Ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, this needs to be a paint ad!I'm sorry, but you seem to have handled it well. Thanks for sharing Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did NOT! Thank you for the tips. I had no idea--especially about keeping my eyebrows bushy--hysterical! I'm glad you were not hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but I did, and I'm serious about the bushy eyebrows!

      Delete
  14. lol too funny good thing you got pic its priceless

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness! that's hysterical or at least, I would have been! I can't believe you actually got a picture of yourself wearing the paint - I would have been crying to say the least. :-) Glad you're ok. Thanks for sharing your blooper and the safety tips. We need the reminder from time to time, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lynn,

    How could I not click read more after seeing that picture? I am totally following the safety tips because I do not have bushy eyebrows!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH that is funny. I did fall off a ladder in the spring but happily I didn't have a can of paint with it, or I would have looked like you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Lynn, I feel like I should apologize because as soon as I saw that photo I burst out laughing!! At least you didn't get any in your eyes. Oh my goodness. You poor thing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, ae you okay. That would be so awful. Glad you took a picture. I have fallen twice in a week. Once in a restaurant in front of a bunch of women then yesterday carrying groceries in the house. Miss Grace I am. Hope you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Lynn.. Oh man.. Oh... wow... Ummm... You look really good with that new white paint look..so yeah- ummm... !!!! ;) Crazy!!! So happy you are ok- man! Thanks for linking this up girl!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good morning! Loved having you link up with us for Stinky Linky... You are being featured today! Thank you for hanging with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my! I thought things like this only happened to me! Great tips though as I'm getting ready to do some window trim painting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I will never pluck again! :) Thank you for the tips...my hubby use to be a painter...he whips that ladder around like it's his right arm. Me...not so much...I get passed the 5th step and I become dizzy lizzy...:o

    ReplyDelete