Friday, July 13, 2012

The Potty Shed


What do you call an old outhouse that has been converted into a potting shed?  Oh, you are way ahead of me aren't you?  I just gave it away in the title.... but I've  got to say it again....I'm just so clever...oh, oh...it's a POTTY SHED.  




(Some people are just born funny, and others simply die trying.) 


A few weeks ago I wandered down the lane to get some photos of my neighbor Teena's birdhouse collection.  

t




While peering through the collection I spied something  that appeared to be people sized.  



Of course I couldn't stop my wandering camera and I had to know the story of this little shed.  

I discovered that a fews years back Teena's extended family had salvaged what they could from the old family farm.   Things were divided up, but only Teena seemed interested in the outhouse.  So, nobody put up a big stink when Teena made plans to move it to her yard. (See, there again that was an attempt at potty humor, I thought I'd just point that out in case you missed it).

Look who is sitting pretty now?  Teena had great vision don't you think?
 






There is plenty of rusty hardware and weathered wood on the outside.



But the inside of this outhouse  holds some pretty interesting treasures....let's take a peek. 

 Let's see, there are a few pots....that makes sense....

 


...and some garden gloves and hand tools....standard stuff....




.... a trusty, rusty shovel...





....another gardening essential, the electric chandelier...

 
...a newer watering can, and....and.....wait... 



....hold on a minute.  Did I just say chandelier? 

 


Why yes I did... 



...after all, who doesn't need a little pretty in their potting shed?

  





In its day, this was a fancy schmancy bathroom, a two-seater in fact.  But somewhere along the history of human digestive elimination the two-seat bathroom has fallen out of favor.  At least I have never run into a modern-day one.  






So it makes me wonder exactly who you would take with you into a two-seater outhouse?  Would it be your best friend or your worst enemy? I don't know why I am troubled with these puzzling thoughts but I've got to know....who would you take with you???


Enjoy today!


Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special





29 comments:

  1. This is such a cool structure! Love the story behind it, (pun intended)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too funny, Lynn, you crack me up! lol That really is an adorable shed. Who would have thought you could repurpose an outhouse?

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha ..i always wondered too.
    a pretty neat building!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, how pretty (who knew an outhouse could be called pretty)! I love the history and that it is now re-purposed as something useful. Now I'm wishing I had an old outhouse! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Potty Shed, just the cutest thing ever. I love it. I would be spending a lot of time in there, uh Potting, not pottying. :)
    blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, Lynn- I always wondered that myself- WHO would you want to take in there to sit next to whist doing your "business"? lol What's the old saying...The family that prays together stays together? How about the family that poops together? Just askin' xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana you are too funny! Maybe families were closer back then??

      Delete
  7. Cute story - and luuuv that chandy in there! A little bit of bling is a good thing anywhere. :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this shed!!! i want one!!!!

    p.s. love the new blog-look!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I lived in Africa for a summer...and this would have been a luxurious bathroom...their standards! It even has electricity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK you have me stumped on my answer...probably my enemy, so we could resolve our issues, but than again my best friend so we could laugh all day. Love this shed! Your blog looks awesome too btw. Thanks for sharing with the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness that is just too cute/funny! Love the chandelier! AS for who, um, all I can think of is maybe it worked well when potty-training your children. I wouldn't want anyone in there with me! Love the potty, um potting shed. Still smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, the chandelier definitely is the cherry on top :)
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's the cutest thing! The chandelier is the best. I've heard of two-seaters, but thankfully never seen one! I would just be selfish and say that nobody could go in with me. Nobody.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love that potty shed! How adorable. I would love you to share this post at my party "Totally Transformed Tuesday" @ http://pjhdesignsoneofakind.blogspot.com Have a wonderful day. Peggy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! Cute post, too!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really cute potty shed! We once lived in a house that had a 3 seater potty place - Momma, Pappa and baby sized seats.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now, that potty shed I would happily use! So darling!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, that would be your family member pounding on the bathroom door when you only have ONE bathroom!!! Yes, we lived with one bathroom for many years, and I would have been happy with a 2 seater! LOL!

    Love the potty house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is such a cute potty shed! And yes I don't think I have seen a 2 seater bathroom yet! haha...but when you think about the times "the whole family" is in the car on the way home from a day out all "calling" a bathroom when they get home makes you glad you have more than one bathroom! So, I could see why they had a "two seater" potty shed! hahaha Please come share this at our link party - "Home is Where the Heart is" http://www.homesteadsimple.com/home-is-where-the-heart-is-link-it-up-wednesdays-2/ Please feel free to link any other posts you'd like to share!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just found you through Debbiedoo's and am your newest follower (I'm a fellow newbie :) Who knew that a 'potty shed' could be so charming?!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is too cute. Thanks for sharing at Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very cool! Not like the one I grew up with... I grew up on a very rural farm and my grandma only had cold running water in her kitchen--no bathroom. I do remember using the outhouse with my grandma or my cousins. It was a pretty classy two seater with a child sized potty seat in the corner. (and I am only 50 so it wasn't aaalll that long ago.) Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a cleaver idea!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh this is just beautiful!
    Love this...in fact hubby and I are re-creating our side shed into my playhouse this spring and summer! I c a n n o t wait!
    It's going to be gien a shabby chic makeover and the inside will, of course, be painted white, etc, etc, etc!
    I am hoping for a chandy in there, even if its just with candles.
    I love the country-look to this little shed...beautiful!

    All my heart,
    Deborah xoxo

    ReplyDelete