Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Ramona: Our Guardian Angel


I suppose it may be a little strange to go around naming things in your house.  But when they look this human and have an actual mission it makes a little more sense.  


She stands guard over the front door while we are away....




and greets us when we return.  I have a hard time not saying hello to her.  I fact I talk to her quite a bit.  There really is no harm in that, right?  Until the day that she starts talking back,  that will be my clue that it is time to stop.


Ramona has been around for quite a while but she is new to our house.  The original newell post light was taken as a memento by a family that lived here many years ago.  So during our restoration of the staircase we knew we needed to find a very special replacement.  


We searched the internet for period appropriate lighting but it really seemed that she found us.  

What a glorious past she has had.  Her farmhouse on a large dairy farm in New York was being torn down but many of the treasures were salvaged. 


    Now, do you want to know something sad?  Ramona had a twin, a mirror image of herself.  They were perched on either side of a grand staircase in the old mansion. Our staircase is not nearly so grand and so the pair was split up.   Her twin is serving time on a newell post elsewhere in the world but we try not to dwell on that too much.    




We like to think she is happy perched on our old hand carved newell post.  She even has her own pearl button on/off switch.  





















 From her tiny fingers and toes to the ringlets down her back, she is a total work of art.  And her name?  It just came to me one day and I really can't explain it.







But she does much more that just stand there and look pretty, she has a job to do.  The staircase she guards is very narrow and winding at the top.  





Just about everyone who has lived in the house in recent history has taken a tumble down these stairs.  People back in 1900 must have had smaller feet or a better sense of balance or maybe I'm just not as nimble as I once was.  So I really like the idea of someone watching over our travels up and down the staircase. That's where Ramona comes in, I think she reminds us to watch our step. 


And on her watch as Guardian Angel we haven't had a single stair incident!



 She does have one other job.  At night she lights our way to the bedrooms, and honestly she creeps out the grandkids a bit.  


But to me she takes on a whole new beautiful glow as she holds the light for us.  


And it is very comforting to know I've got a guardian angel watching over our staircase in the evening.  I always wish her a good night as I climb to stairs to bed....





Good-night Ramona.....

......."good-night dear"


Oh  please tell me I didn't really hear that, I'm not ready to give up talking to her just yet!


Sleep tight,













17 comments:

  1. That is such an amazing piece! It makes such a great statement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is beautiful. I would love to have her guarding me, too! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great addition to your home!
    Lucky you found her!!

    Smiles :)
    Kerin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Ramona is a beauty! That's the kind of thing that gives a home character & charm. I love Ramona.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I am definitely watching my step after the "paint" incident

      Delete
  6. I don't know who is luckier.. Ramona, since you saved her.. or you.. since you found Ramona!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's a beauty but yea, I can see her creeping out the grandkids on occasion! Better her than the stuffed cat they had on the staircase in "Hope Floats" I guess!

    Definitely a conversation piece and take it from me, a fall down the stairs is no fun and it ain't cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynn Ramona is fabulous great find

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ramona is lovely and your staircase is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Ramona and your staircase! I am awarding you the Liebster Award! CONGRATS! Follow to my POST!
    http://thebfarm.blogspot.com/2012/07/an-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is just a stunning piece! I would love to find her twin!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this light. I have never seen one of these before on a newell post. I love her!! She's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a few things like this on my front porch standing guard too. I think they really do look out for us. She's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love her! And what a story... glad you've given her a new home. :-)

    And your staircase is just beautiful. I know what you mean though... when we first moved here Jillian took a tumble down ours (one of the scariest sounds I have ever heard) and the exact same week I slipped down half of them while I was pregnant! I called and ordered carpet that day and the next day it was installed! It doesn't look as pretty as bare wood stairs, but we've had no incidents since then so for now I love the carpet!

    How is your paint upstairs holding up? I will be painting some of our floor soon!

    P.S. Love your new blog design! Okay, I'm leaving before I write the longest comment ever! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful!! I am hosting a Giveaway to win a 50 dollar gift card to the store HomeGoods. It would be great if you stopped by and entered. Thanks Anu

    ReplyDelete