Friday, July 20, 2012

Super Cruise Car Show

I may live in a small town, but it's a place where big things happen.  Like the car show that shut down all of main street last Saturday.  





Since I live just off Main, I had to get creative about how to get to the Mercantile (affectionately know as "The Merch") in the middle of the town.  After snaking around the perimeter and following the detour arrows,  I finally made it!  Only to find that ominous looking purple car standing guard.  

 I fearlessly marched past and got my shopping done.  But something happened on my way back home. I was completely mesmerized by these old beauties lining the street.   




I mean, really how often do you come face-to-face with something like this?  
 
 But I'm someone who knows next to nothing about old cars.  If it doesn't have cup holders and a vanity mirror I'm completely lost.
 
So don't be asking me a lot of stuff about make and year and horsepower.  This will be a   self-guided tour...
 


Presenting for your viewing pleasure a lot of cool-looking old cars of various makes....


 



Ahhh, now there's a car I recognize.  The car that stole my 16-year-old heart,  the MG Midget (except nothing but the lime green version would do).  The magic car that would have made me the most popular girl in my High School.  I was just sure I'd be getting one for my birthday.



Well, it never quite happened.  To this day my heart aches a little for the MG Midget and what might have been...

I may not know much about old cars but it didn't stop me from making some observations.   
Unqualified observation from someone who knows nothing about old cars - #1.


It doesn't matter how many "Don't Touch Me, I'm Not That Kind of Car" signs you put out, people will touch.  It's something inborn and primal and people must touch pretty shiny things.  I could hear people  all up and down the street thinking..."Oh do they mean don't touch here on this shiny wheel well"? Touch, touch...touch.  Hence all the touch up rags and frantic car owners.  These guys are more serious about fingerprints than the FBI.



Unqualified observation from someone who knows nothing about old cars - #2.


Speaking of clean, these cars are super clean!  You won't find a dried up french fry any where.  (I'm pretty sure I've got enough to make a super size under my seat).  But the clean engines are what amazed me.  Just think, if a guy (most of the owners were guys) could do this for the inside of an engine just image how clean he could make your oven!


Unqualified observation from someone who knows nothing about old cars - #3. 

No matter how bad it looks, if it's old and has an engine someone will find the beauty in it.  This clean-one-owner-Beverly-Hillbilly-hand-me-down was possibly my favorite....and still no dried up french fries in there.


Unqualified observation from someone who knows nothing about old cars - #4. 

It's all in the details.  Check out the purple dice air stem cover on the upper left!  Nothing is overlooked.


Unqualified observation from someone who knows nothing about old cars - #4. 

If you don't have a car mascot you'll never make it in this circuit.  



I had a wonderful time on my way home from The Merch and best of all I was let in on a  town secret.  




The owner at The Merch told me about a little know back alley to take when Main Street is hosting an event.  I think this now makes me an official local insider. I'm really looking forward to our next big event, The Summit County Fair!


Enjoy today!





5 comments:

  1. Wow, those cars really are amazing...but so are your unqualified observations! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you love those old cars? We have a couple of those shows around here, too. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun town to live in and I think you did a excellent job of observation!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love old car shows. You guys must have had a blast! :)

    ~Lisha

    ReplyDelete