Monday, August 6, 2012

Fry Sauce: It's a Utah Thing


It's happened enough times that I finally get it: fry sauce is a Utah thing.  If I'm out-of-state at a restaurant  and ask, "Do you have fry sauce here?"  I usually get a puzzled look from the waiter/waitress and they say (in a semi-disgusted tone), "Of course".  Then they bring back a little white cup with ketchup in it?  





While I appreciate the effort, that's just not it. If you ask for fry sauce in Utah you will get something wonderfully different.  I shutter to think there are 49 other states and a whole wide world out there that could be missing out on the joy of Utah fry sauce.  So I've got to let you in on it. 


You can possibly buy it at the grocery store.  We have this brand in Utah, but it's extremely easy to make yourself.


Hey!  I bought that fry sauce for my blog photos yesterday.
Where did the top half of the bottle go??


If you have ever been stumped because you lost the recipe for ice, you're gonna love this.  Measure 1 part Ketchup and 2 parts Mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip). 


Whisk it until there are no lumps and it is completely smooth, all of about 10 seconds. That's it.


Now then, what would fry sauce be without fries?   Cottage fries make a great side dish to fry sauce;) 


Start by slicing a few potatoes into about 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices.  If you don't care too much about keeping all your fingers you can use a mandolin.  (I swear that gadget will get me one of these days.) 


Drizzle a little olive oil and stir until the potatoes are well coated.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  I snipped some fresh thyme and rosemary from the garden on these.  You could add any other herbs or spices you like here.


Place in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.  Here is the only hard part, you need to check and turn the slices every 15 minutes until they are the right amount of crispy for you.  


So why the sudden concern over fry sauce and telling the whole world?  Well, the Olympics of course. Really it's not that much of a stretch, stay with me for a minute.


Photo Source
Fry sauce is such a big deal around here that it had its own Olympic pin in 2002.   No kidding these pins are still around.  I found this one on ebay. All the recent Olympic excitement just made me think of it.  


 I should warn you though, fry sauce can be habit forming.  You may find yourself in an out-of-Utah restaurant and ketchup just won't do the trick anymore.  Here's what to do, ask for one packet of Ketchup and 2 packets of Mayonnaise.  When nobody is looking squirt them all on your plate and stir it up.  You'll get your fix!


Go for the Gold!  (or pink, as in fry sauce pink)











StoneGable

22 comments:

  1. Who knew! Never heard of it, but it sounds like a perfect compliment for fries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mayonnaise on fries is a tasty treat in Europe. I guess this is a hybrid of two continents and a variation I will be sure to try.
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good too! You had me at Mayonnaise...

      Delete
  3. It certainly is a Utah thing :)

    My sister lived in Illinois for years and once made fry sauce (pink sauce) for a BBQ. Not one person would even try it!
    Boy, did they miss out~~~hee,hee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would get it, my fellow Utah blogger friend!

      Delete
  4. Never heard of Fry Sauce- but it sure sounds yummy! I'm looking forward to trying it out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Love the sutff -- your photos makes those potatos look yummy too!

    Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummmmm-mmmmmie! That looks awesome. Making some tonight!

    BTW, I just wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Liebster Award. Head over to my post today. It's your turn to pass the torch! LOVE YOUR BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm...will have to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, you're right, this South Eastern gal has never heard of it... and I'm looking at your ketchup bottle "Western Family" ? wow, y'all have your own ketchup, that's so cool! Bookmarking this recipe into my folder. I love olive oiled potatoes :)
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, we do a lot of things our own way in this state!

      Delete
  9. Very nice blog. I am following you now. Please drop by to Carole's Chatter and check it out. You might like my Food on Friday series which focuses on a different ingredient. This week it was Berries and Currants. If you like my blog it would be great if you followed me back. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never heard of fry sauce. It is Thousand Island dressing? Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had never heard of fry sauce before this post! It sounds easy enough to make, and my daughter loves tater tots. Might give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent choice! It is the perfect compliment to tater tots.

      Delete
  12. Oh yes! I LOVE me some fry sauce! There are a few restaurants locally that offer something similar to fry sauce, but it has seasonings. Its like kicked up fry sauce. I'd love for you to share this at Pin Inspiration Thursday http://www.addhousewife.com/2012/08/pin-inspiration-45.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmmmm, the best of both worlds, mayo AND ketchup. What a great idea. I'm gonna have to try that. I have friends who used to live in Utah so I have spent some time there, but I have never had fry sauce, believe it or not. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE fry sauce and shared your recipe on Friday Finds today. Great recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Try it with a little bit of BBQ sauce in it. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my.... must try this! Found you via Laurel's Friday Finds! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I live in North Florida. I have always loved Ketchup and Mayo mixed together since I was little and still love it to this day. It is awesome.... Thanks - Doria

    ReplyDelete