Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Week in the City: Day 3

If you are just joining us today, don't worry you haven't missed too much.  I'm taking a look back at some of the projects we completed at our house in the city....long before I became a chippy-paint-mason-jar lovin' country gal.  

But this fireplace at the house in the city really lights my fire!



The old fireplace just seemed a little small and lost on the big two-story wall in this cavernous great room.  

(Yes I am ignoring the pink carpet and walls, I can't talk about that, not now, probably not ever!) 



A board and batten type treatment was added to visually bring the ceiling down and cozy up the place.

By painting the mantel and walls the same color it seemed to give the fireplace more importance.  















( I said that with such an air of authority that you could almost believe I was an expert on visual space optimization?)









The same dental molding that was on the mantle was added to the new molding above.  As every dentist knows it's important to have matching upper and lower dentil molding.



 With the mantle painted, only two problems remained...the brassy trim and the black marble surround.


My husband wanted me to spend some time researching the right kind of paint to use on a fireplace.  Ya, that would have been the smart thing to do. But one day I just couldn't take that brass anymore.  I grabbed the closest can of stainless steel spray paint and went after it.  

Sometimes you get lucky!  There has been no bubbling or chipping in more that 5 years of stoking it up!


We cheated a bit on the new travertine surround.  It was placed right over the top of the old black marble. 

( But for a hilarious look at someone who actually took a jackhammer to their old fireplace tile check out one of my favorite bloggers here!)



 I'm thinking this fireplace is smokin' hot now!



Awhhh, a look back at how things used to be.  It must have been my inner blogger that told be to take that photo years ago...it might come in handy someday....a day like...today.


 Just a couple more days to reminisce about the old place...



Links to Week in the City posts

What's this house all about?...here




MONDAY: Yard Makeover
TUESDAY: Painting Stripes in the Dining Room
WEDNESDAY:  Fireplace Makeover
THURSDAY:  DIY Kitchen Cabinet Refinishing
FRIDAY:  Master Bath Makeover








17 comments:

  1. That molding.. my mouth is watering! What a beautiful room.

    I too used regular old spray paint on my gas fireplace without a problem.. I don't think it gets hot enough!

    I love that room! Glad your inner bloggy-goddess told you to take pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing! I miss having a fireplace (even if it was gas). It looks so nice and cozy with your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute updates.
    Glad that the spray paint has held out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The molding and the new fireplace surround really kick up the room to fab. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the wall treatment really brings the room to a new level!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks seriously GORGEOUS. Just GORGEOUS. The entire wall treatment, the fireplace... That is some serious stuff. I looks amazing :)))

    I just knew it was going to be Gina... but I clicked anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks amazing! i love how high and wide you went!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are really doing a bang up job on that house! I love the new look of the fireplace, spontaneous changes are always the best!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh- What a pretty fireplace-you did a wonderful job!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful job you guys did! The fireplace is fabulous & I love the board & batten treatment!
    I can't believe those poor fools who jackhammered their tile! What were they thinking? hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so clever - it all looks so clean and fresh. Cheers

    PS I know you have probably been busy. Just a wee reminder that it would be great if you followed Carole's Chatter back. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love what you did with that unimportant fireplace..good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello! I have followed you back! Thanks for visiting me... I love your blog. So simple, so clean and beautiful. Have a great day!

    ciao bella
    sensible sarah

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous makeover! I love how the board and batten really helps to size the space and the fireplace flows seamlessly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now that fireplace makes you stand up and take notice. Love all of the wall moldings. You really didn't do this all in just a few days did you? What a wonder woman you are!
    Hugs,
    Jann
    Hopped over, made me smile to see that it was Gina.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The board and batten really makes a difference ... and I've always loved dental molding. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete