Thursday, September 20, 2012

Poultry Netting Lamp Shade

Ya know what?  Donna, from Funky Junk Interiors stopped by my blog last week and took a look and my poultry netting valance.  (She really did, I wouldn't make up something like that). She threw out a simple idea.....LAMPSHADE.  A light bulb went off in my head and I couldn't sleep until I put one together.  








I used the same technique as the valance but this time I was thinking a little more masculine and rustic.  




Not that anybody has asked......but I put together a quick tutorial. 
Here is some stuff you will need and you probably already have most of this hanging around. 

Burlap
Assorted twine, string, yarn and hemp cord
Embroidery Hoop (yes I said embroidery hoop)
Wire
Metal Washer
Poultry Netting (formerly chicken wire)


If you saw the valance post you may know I'm on a one-woman mission to stop the misuse of the term "chicken" .  No more using it to describe someone who is exhibiting less than valor behavior, it's just not politically correct.  


People, it's poultry netting.....


see.....


The last thing you will need is a lamp with a perfectly good shade that you want to change out only because you want to make one of the much more stylin' burlap shades.


(If you tell me you like this red shade better I'll have one of my new flightless friends peck at your toes....honest I will)

1- Start by cutting the wire to fit around the circumference of the embroidery hoop and to the desired height.  Then create a drum by joining the two sides and twisting the wires together.


2 - Cut the burlap into 2 1/2 inch wide strips.  Determine the length of the shade and add 3" for fringe and 1" to fold over at the top.  Then cut the strips to length.



3- Zig-zag stitch 3" from one end on all strips


4- Then the fun part, unravel the ends up to the stitching line


5- Start at the finished edge of the wire and weave the burlap through the holes.   It seemed to work easier if I folded it in half first, then opened it up and adjusted later. Match the stitching up with the edge of the bottom wire.  



6- Fluff and adjust and you are ready to add the string pieces however you like.  Make sure to pull the string pieces to the very edge and make them a part of the fringe.



7- It will look a little wonky at this point but just keep going.  Glue the stitching line right to the wire edge.  Be exact with it.  Then fold the top of the strips over the metal and glue down.  Glue the hoop to the top and bottom.  Put the outer hoop with the screw closure on the top...I've got a reason for that and I'll fill you in later.



8- Give it a little hair cut and trim the really crazy stray fibers and you are almost done.


9- Now you need a way to suspend it on the lamp.  That is what the washer is for.  Cut four pieces of wire and secure it to the washer then wrap the wires around the upper hoop and position on the lamp.  Keep tweeking until it is in the middle then secure the ends.  



You old shade is now a distant memory!

The only problem I can see with this idea is that one super hot light bulb could turn this lamp into a torch.  I've been investigating ways to make it more fire resistant.  If you've got an idea please, pretty please drop me a comment!



So what about that funny little screw closure at the top?  Do you put it in the back to hide it?  Nope, I've got a plan for it but I can't spill all my ideas in one day.  I get so few of them I've got to spread it out a bit.  Check out this post for the unique way I finished it all off.



So what do you think?  
Have I really flown the coop with this one?  


I'm so happy to have you here today, I'm practically clucking.  Thanks so much for your visit!!

PS:  ...and thank you all so much for your kind and encouraging comments on my valance project.  You'll never know how much it means!!


This project is linking up to ....



14 comments:

  1. You're killing me here! I love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job!
    You are so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is truly an wonderful idea! Very decorative! I think with all the new energy efficient light bulbs (LED)out, there shouldn't be a problem with it becoming a "torch".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn,
    Somehow I missed your valance project! I love it. And I really like this lamp shade too. So creative...what else can you do with chicken wire, um, netting? (lol) Yes, I think if you use one of the newer type light bulbs, heat shouldn't be an issue. I just may have to copy this idea for my farmhouse! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SO cute! I loved the valance, too. Let's see what else you can come up with! ;-D

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great idea- and I love the touch of the fringe on it!
    I can't imagine what you're going to do with the clasp of the hoop... looking forward to tomorrow's post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are a poultry netting kick! aren't you? Love the lamp, but being fire resistant would be great. Maybe using a low 25w lightbulb, or maybe the "energy efficient one" that does not get as hot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute lampshade! I seem to have a thing for them and just keep thinking up new ones. Or seeing an idea and thinking - o, I must have one of those.

    Crazy obsession.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lynn, it's a pleasure to meet you. I love your project. Your are very creative! I will enjoy poking around your lovely blog. I am your newest follower. Stop by to say hello and follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw your valance at Donna's JUNK I LOVE blog. Way to go...
    this lamp shade is so cool. I love the repurposing of the embroidery hoop and the 'poultry netting';)
    As to light bulb...how about an LED type or Fluorescent one? You could also go low wattage too.

    I saw the update already...love the key chain hanging off the side too!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete