Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Bedroom Makeover with Olioboard


You see them all over blogland.

Inspiration boards with all kinds of beautiful designs.  

I'm not exactly saying this is one of those beautiful boards.....but it did help me pick out an accent color and fabrics when it came time to complete my bedroom. 


I always get a little squeamish when it comes time to add the flair.  I just have a hard time visualizing the end result so I went in search of an inspiration board to help me out.  I ran across the Olioboard site (clever name don't you think?) and set up a free account.  

It was so easy to use even a monkey could work it.  (Did I just call myself a monkey?)  It works a lot like Pinterest.  When you find something on the web you want to add, click the Olioboard button on your tool bar and add it to your board.

I searched and found these photos of items I already had in the room: 


  • mirrored night stand from Pier 1
  • paint color from Benjamin Moore - Santorini Blue
  • tab top drapes from IKEA
  • fabic added to edge of drapes - waverly nassau vine toile porcelain


But the most helpful feature of Olioboard (says me, the monkey) is the ability to actually upload your own photos.   You'll just never be able to find all the items you need and it was so fun to see my furniture in the makeover.

I took a photo of my bed.....



...and then the chair and took out the background.  


Making backgrounds disappear sounds a little mystical in a Hogwarts sort of way.  But it  is actually super easy to do, one click, and....poof....the background is gone .  I'll show you just how to do this in a future post along with how I used it to do a wall grouping.  

This is basically where I started, with a very blue, very empty bedroom.


 Then I found a fabric for the shams that had all the colors of the room in it. 



 I tried out the idea of a yellow lamp on the Olioboard.  It just went from there as I added pillows and accessoriesIt was a big confidence builder to be able to try before you buy (or spray paint your lamps).

Well, here is how the bedroom tweeking turned out.












Not bad for a monkey aehhh??  I'm on a pretty big Olioboard kick lately and I'm feelin' a lot of these posts coming on.  If you've used an inspiration board please leave me a link in the comments or email.  I would love to see how you have used this tool and feature your project!

Link to how-to here.

Have a sunny yellow (and blue) day!


This post is being shared at  Stone GableShare Your Cup Thursday,Savvy Southern Style


21 comments:

  1. beautiful! and I have always wondered how I could make my own mood board, so thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool, Lynn! You make it look so easy. Beautiful! I love how everything came together...I could get addicted to this!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!!! I can't believe I get to sleep in that beautiful room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Anon...this had better be my husband or I could be seriously creeped out.

      Delete
    2. Ok, it was my husband. Thanks Hon! (Even if you are being sarcastic)

      Delete
  4. I love your bedroom. I am still trying to figure out how to design a board. I need to practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to use this when I do the basement. I have a hard time visualizing the finished product too! Room looks awesome by the way! Natalee

    ReplyDelete
  6. hm, I tried Oiloboard some time ago...I don't remember it having all those options. I love how you were able to envision your room then execute it! Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. DYING over the floor in your room!! So freakin' fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank for sharing the Olioboard with us! Your bedroom turned out beautifully. So fun to see it go from the board to reality.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning Lynn, Olioboard sounds really interesting and I am inspired because your bedroom is beautiful. Thank you for introducing me to this site it sounds like I will have a lot of fun. I found you via StoneGable TTT and enjoyed your blog so I have become one of your followers. Have a lovely day. Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just simply fabulous. I love so many things. The wall color, the lamps, the pillows. So, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Lynn, what a clever thing you found. How perfect is that name? I adore your room with some of my favorite colors! Love, love the fabric and the color of your walls. Thanks for sharing it with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh! I love it! Where did you find the fabric for the shams?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks beautiful. I love the fabric (I just bought the same fabric and made drapes for my finished basement). I love the color on your wall. It looks awesome with the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lynn, featuring your gorgeous bedroom at Share Your Cup Thursday.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your room looks so beautiful. I have never used an inspiration board but I've always thought it would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your bedroom is beautiful and I'm so excited to use this inspiration board tool! Always wondered how they did that. I can't wait to read about how to remove the background. Thank you for sharing just great information. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. O, I so hope I can learn to use this. How fun and how helpful.
    Thanks so much....
    Your bedroom is just beautiful...I'm about to pin it....and also, to become a follower.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful room! It's gorgeous, calming, yet interesting to look at! I just created an inspiration board for my master bedroom - although it's not quite as literal:

    http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=6479173715076642578#editor/target=post;postID=2650395446943119057

    It has been a good guideline when choosing items. My bedroom isn't NEARLY as complete as your's, but it's inspiring me to get there!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maybe if I created an Olio board it would jump start my bedroom redo ... oh, and are you getting royalties?

    :) Linda

    ReplyDelete