Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Look Back and a Look Ahead

As I look back on the year that was 2012 I can see many high points and a few surprises.  One thing that was both a high point and a surprise was finding so many wonderful friends as I entered the blog world.  

You have truly inspired me with your creativity, 

                          made me laugh 

                                          and have generally made each day a little brighter! 

It feels good to know there were a few things I was able to give back to the community.

So here they are....my top three posts from 2012.

#1 - Chicken Wire Valance (uh, make that Poultry Netting Valance)
link here

#2 - Front Porch Addition

link here
#3 Pinwheel Flank Steaks

link here

So what will the new year bring?  

2013????

I do have a few predictions for this lil' ole blog.

I predict this will be the year I finish the exposed brick office,

                craft room,

                bathroom addition 

                and post that house tour I've been planning for so long. 

I also predict I'll get the video tutorials on using Olioboard finished.   

On a bit more personal note, 

2013 will be the year I step over the half-century mark (if all goes well).  I admit to clinging to the few remaining days of my 40's as I await that welcome letter from the AARP.  That dreaded letter letting me know that I'm now eligible to join the ranks of the Association of American Retired Persons....even though retirement is a distant dream for me. 

But there are a few things I am looking forward to as someone who has lived a half century.   For example:

                                         grandchildren, 

                                         senior discounts, 

                                         going to dinner at 4 pm 

                                         and a colonoscopy.  

Yup, you read that right, and why did I add colonoscopy to that list?  

Is it because I haven't had a chance to flash my backside since mooning fell out of fashion in the 1970's?  

No, that's not it, but good guess.  

Actually I have a great example to follow.

photo credit
My dear old dad is with us today and free of cancer because he did the very thing many 50-year-olds don't.  He submitted to a bit of an inconvenient test many, many years ago and was able to receive early treatment for the colon cancer that was discovered.  We can't imagine not having him there for the very special day we all shared a few weeks ago.  

And that is why 2013 will be the 'Year of the Colonoscopy" for me.  

So if you are 50+ and have been putting it off, set a goal to make this the year for you too.   

It's a day that is sure to make this blog and we can 

             laugh about it, 

             and maybe cry a little 

             and just be glad we cared enough about the people who love us to get it done.  

But if it's all the same to you, I think I'll tell the AARP to just hang it up for a few years.

Thank you Dad for always being there!








12 comments:

  1. Happy new year, Lynn! Great resolutions - and yes - the colonoscopy is so crucial. My best friend from college's mom is alive today b/c she got one and it caught the cancer early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, I've been wondering where you were. :)

    I'm turning 50 this year too...never thought about it being a half century. Did you have to say it that way? What a great way to convince people to have a colonoscopy. My hubby had his at 50 and I will too. We are firm believers in doing everything preventative that we can.

    Glad to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I won't be the only one going through that this year....and thanks! It's good to be back.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to see you! I wondered where you were hiding!! I'm looking forward to all you share with us in 2013. (even the colonoscopy) lol



    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, Lynn! What a wonderful picture of your dad. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. I'm right there with you Lynn. Dreading the mail. Awaiting the official "you are old now" AARP mailing! And the early bird specials and senior discounts ...

    And thanks for the health checkup public service announcement ... just one more thing to remind us about how fun it is to age!

    :) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story and a great picture! I just love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynn, I've missed you! I had my first colonoscopy last year and it wasn't that bad. Yes, the drinking of the stuff and running to the bathroom every 30 minutes was annoying. But they put you completely under and the next thing you know they're waking you up from the best nap you ever had! Don't be afraid. :) Your dad is a very wise man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a great message about your Dad. I just realized I wasn't following, you. Just fixed that. ;)

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good your back -- I've been off the blogging too - anyway.. My husband in 2009 caught the colon cancer in time - because he went and had a colonoscopy test..still cancer free... Love your words.. your daughter is beautiful!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did I miss the recipe for those delicious looking pinwheels flanked steak? Yum!

    Thanks,
    Kim Barker

    ReplyDelete