Friday, January 25, 2013

Punch and Cookies Winter Style



There are a lot happenings in our small town, 
                  and at most of those get togethers you could expect to find 
                                                punch and cookies.





Head off to a PTA meeting,
               you can bet there will be punch and cookies at the end.

At a Republican "Meet the Candidate" night,
             it's for sure that punch and cookies will be on the agenda.

When the Democrats meet.......well actually I believe the three of them just meet at the gas station for a sodie pop so bad example. 

But when it was my turn to bring the refreshments to the monthly quilt guild meeting, I was pretty sure that punch and cookies would be the expected fare.  

In honor of the cold weather we have been having here I decided to change it up just a bit and provide a...

Cocoa Bar and Frosty Cookies


There were
    sugar sprinkles,
         and crushed up starlite mints, 
                and chocolate chips,
                       and of course whipping cream 
to top off the hot chocolate.  


The styrofoam cups were decorated with a cute, free printable I found here .  

Don't you just love it when creative bloggers are generous like that. 


Ya, ya you have seen cocoa bars before 

                                 but feast your eyes on this....




Chocolate dipped oreos with a fancy, frosty design. 

The credit for this idea goes to my Sister-in-Law who says she got the idea from her cousin who got the idea from....well who really knows where it all starts?




Begin by melting the chocolate, or white chocolate (or blue chocolate) in the microwave.



Start with 30 seconds stir and go slowly.  

It will melt just be patient and don't over heat the stuff. 

If you heat it too fast for too long you can end up with a white residue after it cools....very not cool.


Put an Oreo in the melted chocolate and turn until it is covered on all sides.


Let the excess chocolate drip back into the bowl then place the cookie on a sheet lined with waxed paper.  



This is where the magic starts!
The design comes from a transfer sheet. 
I purchased the snowflakes from a local bakery supply shop but there are many good sources online.  

Here is a link to an online shop with lots of great designs.



Cut the sheet to the desired size and place on top of the chocolate covered cookie before it has a chance to cool.  Put the cookies in the refrigerator for a few minutes.  When the chocolate is set, remove the transfer sheet.

It's more fun than a temporary tatoo!


I'm not sure the quilt guild crew was too crazy about blue cookies.  I noticed a lot of the cookies went home for the kids to "try". 
                     I wonder if they really meant "test".  
(Testing out strange colored food on your kids isn't a bad 
idea if you've got a few spares around the house?)

It really was a fun evening and I'm hoping I'll get invited to another punch and cookie event soon.  

I've got some
                heart transfers I want to try 
                        and then those cute shamrocks,
                              I'm sure I could find an easter egg transfer,
                                                                         and then and then......



Stay warm my punch and cookie friends,
Sharing with my friends over here.....

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite SpecialFox Hollow Cottage                            

9 comments:

  1. Love this! I'm having a birthday party here soon and think this might be a fun idea for the little ones! Will have to pin this and remember it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so awesome! I'd love to try them. Your cookie and cocoa bar for the club sounds like a refreshing idea...good for you!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are too pretty to eat!

    I am never, ever photographing my messy cutout cookies for my blog. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love.
    So cute!
    Pinned :)

    and behaved with no political commentary :)
    hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so pretty!! Wow!! And who knew, blue chocolate!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're such a rebel! :) Love the blue cookies, and I've never heard of using a transfer on them. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. super idea and showing the steps -- coolish --
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these. And I love any kind of dipped Oreo. I don't know why anyone wouldn't have tried these. They're adorable and I'm sure delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have eaten those up in no time. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete