Thursday, April 25, 2013

Another One Bites the Dust

If you've hung around on my blog for a while you may remember the love affair I have with orchids.

You can read all about this one-sided relationship here.
I go over in detail everything I have tried to get them to thrive.




I've tried and tried to get them to love me back, but eventually they all end up like this.

However,  I am calling this last little fella something of a success.

The first orchid was on life-support after 2 weeks in my care,
                 the second lasted a full 2 months
                                       this last guy hung around for about 6 months before checking out.


 Maybe I'm getting a little better at this,
                           I don't know.


But I have adopted a new policy where it comes to orchids.  I finally realized that they only cost about $14.99 and you can pick them up right at the grocery store.  

Heck, I've been known to spend a lot more that that on cut flowers that last just a few days.  




What was I so uptight about??  

It's not like it was on my bucket list to get one to rebloom or anything.


So here is my new thinking on the matter....



“Love the one you’re with”  





Maybe by slowing down and having just have one at a time, I can avoid becoming a two-timing orchid loving tramp.

That's right, just enjoy one at a time, while they last, and let them go when the time comes.

It has taken me a long time to realize that sometimes I just make things too hard when there is a simpler solution.

Ya know what????

I'm really not going to be good at everything...

......and I'm okay with that now!



Truly,





     





Sharing with Random-osity





                          


9 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about getting the orchids to re-bloom. I'm working on one this very moment. I either over water or too little water. I've tried the ice cube method (which I think worked), but then moved the plant and forgot about it. Like you said, we all can't be good at everything. But I think we wish we could be. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Afternoon Lynn, Oh, do not throw these orchids out when they have finished flowering, all you have to do is cut the stem when the flowers are finished. Feed it with orchid fertilizer, leave it in a bright spot (not in the sun) and within about a month or so you will see a new shoot growing. When it gets to about 2" make sure you support the growth with a stick, then as it grows, tie in the shoot again, then after a short period of time when the stem has grown as much as it wants to, you will see little buds forming and hey presto you will have flowers!
    I am always rescuing friends orchids.
    Give it a go, you have nothing to lose.
    Best wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a huge pink person but I love that color on an orchid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn- Thyose are just gorgeous. I have never grown orchids but I can grow most things quite nicely. My daughter who has killed every plant I have ever given her does great with orchids. Go figure! Yours are BEAUTIFUL! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I'm with you...when it's done, get another one! I think I commented on the original orchid post that I keep mine in the bathroom (moisture from the shower is good) where we have a lot of light. Good for you for getting six months out of the last one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kill succulents. So I'm thinking that I need to stay very far away from orchids ...

    :) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am AWFUL with houseplants and have never had an orchid ever. It wouldn't be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel the same about Poinsettias. Why did I struggle to keep them alive until the next year? Totally not worth the worry. Although I have to admit it's pretty cool when the amaryllis does what it's supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have killed many in the past. Now I have some beautiful FAKE ones that I have to dust once in a while, I must say they have lived for years now. Alaina

    ReplyDelete