Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Mini Makeover

You've got to be really careful when you open up a can of that Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.

It just gets all over everything.



It started out simple enough.  I got some ASCP in Paris Grey paint to make over this table.



Before I knew it, I was eyeing this old chair in the corner of the office and thinking, "I wonder what  chalk paint could do for that poor old thing"?


It was in pretty good shape but the cording had come loose and the chair pad was worn out.  And that dark wood just wasn't doing it for me.  

Besides I still had 3/4 of a can of chalk paint to play with.  


So in the middle of the table project, I just couldn't stop myself from taping off the wood and trying a little of the Paris Grey on the chair.  



I do have a bit of a problem with focus.  

It seems I always have about 10 half-finished projects going on at a time.  



The original finish was very worn so I really hit the arms with sand paper,  maybe a bit too much.  

But I do kinda like how it looks like this was someone's favorite chair and the finish was worn down hour by hour from an aging hand running over it.  

After it was sanded I used a coat of clear wax, then dark wax that I really let settle in the cracks.

It was pretty simple to reattach the cording.  I just used a regular glue gun and it seems like it will hold for a while.















At least until I'm ready to change it again.



I unpicked the original cushion cover and used it as a pattern to make a new one.

The fabric I choose had the look of old tooled leather.  It was a pain in the patootie to work with,  just letting you know.


The arm rests also got a touch of the "leather" fabric.  

They kinda remind me of the elbow patches on a tweed jacket.  The kind a college "Professor of Philosophy" might wear.  



All in all I was pretty happy about how it turned out.  Although I think it could use a few pillows to help blend the two fabrics.  

Maybe something in a houndstooth??


But I really don't have time for pillows just yet.

 I can't seem to get the lid back on the can of ASCP.   Even before the chair was done I was dabbing it on yet another project. I've been painting everything that isn't breathing.

They really ought to put a warning label on that paint!!


Sharing at Wow Us Wednesdays, Inspire me Tuesday, Furniture Feature Friday






17 comments:

  1. Hello. It's beautiful already! I love the solid color you added to it. Must get me some of the ASCP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chair looks awesome! You make it sound so easy, but I have a feeling it's not.....maybe this will inspired me to makeover these wingbacks I have sitting in my basement.....maybe..

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that chair turned out lovely...I have yet to use chalk paint - I am afraid of how addictive it will be in my house!!

    Cheryl @ The Creative Me and My McG

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks awesome!! I am drooling over the brick wall, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I too love the brick wall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!! so pretty! I too will have multiple things going on, my boys laugh at me all the time....I also love the brick wall. ')

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous chair! It looks so pretty against the brick wall. I better not open a can because I have enough unfinished projects already!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the chair...amazing what a different color will do for the chair...I have an old maple wing backed chair that I will try and attempt the same thing that you did with the chair...wish me luck...yes, the ASCP is addicting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This chair is stunning. I love it. What a fabulous redo. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me Tuesday party that is ongoing.
    http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/05/163rd-inspire-me-tuesday.html
    Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW...do you have guts my friend...I would of been scared to death to try this project☺ Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The chair is lovely, you did an amazing job. I have yet to use chalk paint but now I think I need to go out and get some and find a project of my own. Would love for you to check out my blog at http://homeandlifestyledesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. your chair looks fantastic!! i'm glad tax season is over - i've missed you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love, love, love this chair. Thanks tons for linking up. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute chair! I have used a bit of the paint, but there is something about the way it feels when it is dry that kind of bugs me. Do you know what I mean, or am I doing something wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it Lynn! You did a fantastic job! It's beautiful! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. i don't think it's too much sanding! i love it and it needs that extra rusticity to balance out the formality of the piece!

    visiting via MMS and would love to have you come visit us back http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com

    have a wonderful weekend, lovely blogger.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lynn,
    A chair is my next project.. Love how yours came out! My only problem
    is my chair is very old and has springs. Hey, another project :)
    Great idea to use blue tape to cover while painting.. there is so much
    I need to learn. Thanks for sharing!
    xo Liz

    ReplyDelete